Time for a cool magic trick that will hook paper clips and a rubber band all together using a dollar bill.
Linking paperclips and rubber band is a fun and easy magic trick for kids.
In case you didn’t already know, I thought I would tell you that my husband is a professional magician.
That means I get to see a lot of amazing tricks. The other good part about that is that I can ask him to share his talents with you!
He kindly agreed to make some magic videos so that I can share them with all of you.
Today is an easy trick that your kids are going to have a lot of fun with.
It is a variation on linking paper clips as it adds in another element, the rubber band.
All you need is a dollar bill or paper cut to approximate dollar bill size, two large paperclips and a large rubber band.
Be sure to watch the video directly below a few times.
That way you can see how everything is set up and learn the secret to doing the trick.
Watch closely where the rubber band and paperclips are placed on the dollar bill and leave the paperclips sticking up a little bit.
Get ready to be amazed as the paperclips magically link together and they both get linked to and hang from the rubber band! Very neat!!
Video will either play immediately or after a very short ad.
- 1 Dollar Bill
- 2 Large Paperclips
- 1 Large Rubber Band longer than dollar bill
- No extra tools needed
- Hold your dollar bill in your hand. Slide the rubber band over the dollar bill and make sure that it is wider than the dollar and hangs down below it.
- Fold the dollar about 1/3 of the way.
- Your rubber band will be between the fold. Insert your first paperclip to hold the fold in place clipping the bill together.
- Turn the dollar bill around and fold it 1/3 of the way. Your dollar bill should form an s shape. Next add your second paperclip to hold the fold in place. Check the video and pictures and make sure what you are holding in your hand matches what is shown.
- Put your fingers on each side of the dollar. Announce that you will now link the paperclips to the rubber band without even touching them. Or use the script in the video. Say a magic phrase or word (because that is part of the fun!) Abracadabra is traditional. The next step is to pull the dollar bill from each end until flat. Keep it in your fingers. You want to pull steadily and quickly (but too fast that you rip it or drop it) on each side of the dollar.
- In that last step, the magic happened! If done correctly, the paperclips will be hanging off of the rubber band.
- Lay out all of your items while they are still linked so people can come and look. Tip your head down a bit or bow to indicate your performance is over. Enjoy the applause!
TIPS: Leave the paperclips sticking up off the dollar bill a little bit when you are attaching them. Make certain the rubber band is wider than the dollar bill or the trick won't work properly.
Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time. Magic is all about practicing and practicing is the way you become better at the tricks. You may need to do it a lot of times until you can easily set it up and have it work each and every time. That is fine. Magicians have to do the exact same thing!
I hope you enjoyed this linking paperclips with rubber band trick. Check out the original paperclip trick to link two paperclips in mid air as well!