We have a new Homeschool Unit Study starting and I am really excited about it. I hope you are too.
It is all about robots! The boys I know love robots. They like the read about them, make some silly robots and even pretend to be a robot.
Here are some videos so that they can step it up a bit and make their own robot too. (Updated to include 9 robots!)
These robots are so neat and they are a blast to put together and play with.
Make your own robot. I’m sure you will all have a great time!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. All opinions are my own and I share things I think would be of interest to boys.
Homeschool Unit Study: Robots
I could make a very long list of all of the learning aspects of doing this type of project! It really depends on what type of robot you are making as to what your boys will actually learn but rest assured if you get them making robots they will learn a ton.
1. Miniature Robots Workshop from Make. This video provides directions to a few different types of robots. He says you can get more information on the website–here is the link as it is kind of hard to find.
2. Make your own walking robot. Oh, this one is so funny–click to watch him go. It is a bit complicated but it would be great for an older boy or you could work on this project together with your boys.
3. Once you get that one together you can try the one below. It uses the walking robot and adds this feature: avoiding obstacles.
4. The next robot in our lineup is something a bit different. A Boat! Yes, you can make a rowing robot that makes a boat go in water. Neat!
5. I had not thought of a climbing rope robot but what a great idea. It looks like a spider! I am amazed at how it climbs the rope.
6. This bristlebot robot really is better than the others I have seen. It runs really smoothly. This is an easy project for younger robot fans.
7. How about a dizzy robot? This one is pretty funny and only requires a few parts.
8. Scribblebot! I have seen a few of these around but I simply love how they put this one together to make such neat scribbles.
9. Last, but not least, we have this nifty walking insect robot – it reminds me of a walking stick. Very neat!
I hope you have fun with these ways to make your own robot. Robots are so great, aren’t they? I think they can really hold a boy’s attention.
If you don’t want to hunt for parts here are a few kits you could try instead (click on the pictures below.) I like kits if they are well done as you have all the parts there and you can just get to work.
For more robot ideas see our Homeschool Unit Study: Really Rockin’ Robots article. There are a lot of fun activities there, as well as robot ideas for younger boys.