LEGO is a favorite at our house and I bet it is around your house as well. I read more than my share of LEGO books each year in part because we love them and in part because I want to find the very best books for boys to share with you!
There were a lot of different LEGO books published in 2014. Some were really good, others were, as my son would say, meh. I will share what LEGO books are the very best from 2014.
To start with there are building guides, chapter books, character guide and books that are geared toward enthusiasts. With that many to choose from it was not an easy task picking only 10! Adult fans of LEGO (AFOLs) have written some really cool titles this year and I am excited for you to have a look at them.
If you are looking for additional books to add to your home library and you have a brick loving boy in the family, I highly recommend taking a good look at these selections.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. All opinions are my own and I share things I think would be of interest to boys. Thanks for your support!
Top 10 LEGO Books of 2014:
10. LEGO NINJAGO: The Visual Dictionary Visual dictionaries by DK are super popular. As far as this book landing in the #10 slot it is simply because Ninjago is not quite as popular as Star Wars and this is a bit of a slim volume. However, it is still good! Comes with limited edition Zane Rebooted minifig.
9. LEGO Star Wars: The Dark Side A DK Guidebook all about the Star Wars characters on the dark side. I personally like the visual dictionary (#4 below) better but if your fan is really into the bad guys, this is the book for him.
8. The LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Discovery Book This book is in 8th place because I am not sure how many of you actually have LEGO Mindstorms. (on a Mindstorms list–it would be #1) If you need a great guide for getting started and moving forward with Mindstorms EV3, this is the book to get. It is printed in full color and is an awesome resource to use when building and programming your robot.
7. LEGO Legends of Chima: Wolves and Crocodiles is a winner for Chima fans. Includes the Winzar minifig, as well as, stories (short), activities and a mini poster. For younger boys.
6. Brick Wonders is a unique book which depicts LEGO landmarks of the world. I like it for that aspect alone but it has other neat features as well. Click through the link for our full review and images from the book.
If you are interested in having your boy learn the landmarks– LEGO-style–check out our special LEGO Landmarks post.
5. Cool Creations in 101 pieces by Sean Kenney is a great book for boys who want to do some building but don’t have a ton of pieces. We reviewed this series, so just click through for more info on this great title.
4. LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary This book has been updated and expanded for 2014. It is all about LEGO and Star Wars so you really can’t go wrong with that combo now can you? It doesn’t hurt that the book comes with an exclusive Luke Skywalker minifig either. We are very fond of the minifig gallery they added in this edition.
3. LEGO Chain Reactions comes with a 78 page book, 33 LEGO elements and 6 LEGO balls. This Klutz book is wonderful. I can guarantee if your boy uses this book he will learn a lot and have a blast while doing so.
2. The LEGO Neighborhood Book is tops if you want to create buildings and accessories (such as tables, chairs, lamps etc.) This is one of our favorite LEGO books! Click through the link for a full review and to see some great pictures too.
The very best LEGO book of 2014 is . . .
1. The Art of LEGO Design This book is a gem (and I don’t say that often!) I love this book, I really do. The reason it is so good is because it is all about being creative with LEGO. It is not a manual, it is a guide. It is inspiring and very helpful to those who want to take their building to the next level. We reviewed it and also interviewed the author Jordan Schwartz. Highly Recommended.
So there you have it–The Official Brain Power Boy List of the Top 10 LEGO Books of 2014. We had a hard time choosing! There were a lot of good books this year. I look forward to seeing what will be coming out in 2015 and beyond. We always get excited when new LEGO titles are released.
Sign up for our newsletter if you would like to keep up-to-date on all things LEGO and get fun boys’ learning info in your inbox (totally free!)
Click for more LEGO posts and take a look at a great assortment of books from The LEGO Movie (includes a link to a free activity book as well!) If you are looking for more books boys will enjoy try this page. Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂
What is your boy’s favorite LEGO book? Leave a comment!